Top 10 Tips To Prevent Your Wig From Smelling
Wigs are an essential item in our lives. Has your hair ever exuded an unpleasant smell? Just imagine this scene: When you put on beautiful makeup and wear your new favorite clothes, everything is so perfect. Then you are ready to put on your wig and go out happily. At this time, you feel the strange smell from the wig, what a ruining mood!
Unpleasant smells can always easily affect our mood. So it is very important to keep our real hair wigs away from unpleasant smells. Today we are about to discuss how to prevent your wig from smelling.
Why Your Wig Is Smelling?
Before we want to solve a problem, we first need to know why. In fact, the factors causing your wig to be smelly are various. We will list some of them in the following part.
1. The Production Process
If you have ever bought wigs, you must that the wig came with a smell. No matter the human hair wigs or synthetic wigs, they used many kinds of chemicals during the production process. Especially colored hair may have a different smell from natural colored wigs. Because colored hair often needs to go through another chemical process of dyeing and fixing. Various chemicals add up to cause your wig to come with smells.
2. Not Cleaned In Time
Although wigs don’t need to be washed frequently like our natural hair, it is also essential to clean them in time. When we wear a wig for a long time, it may be stained with various smells from natural life, such as the smell of smoke and the smell from the kitchen. At the same time, a lot of dust will also accumulate on your wig. All the factors will cause your wig to exude an unpleasant smell.
3. Not Stored Correctly
Wigs need to be stored in a dry place. If you place your wig in a humid environment with little air circulation, it will cause your wig to mold and produce a strange smell.
How to Prevent Your Wig From Smelling?
Now, we have known some reasons why wigs sometimes get smelly. It’s time to find some methods to get rid of the smell. Here are some small tips for you to prevent and deal with the strange smell.
1. Wash Your Wig In Time
A wig doesn’t need to be washed as frequently as your natural hair, but timely cleaning is still necessary. Generally speaking, you should wash your wig about every 6-8 weeks, or 7-10 years. The frequency of washing it is up to the frequency you wear it. If you wear it every day, you may need to wash it more frequently.
When you wash your wig, lukewarm or cool water is better. And remember to choose the sulfate-free shampoo and the conditioners specially designed for wigs. You can use conditioners and shampoos with the same fragrance, then your wig will smell very nice.
2. Dry your wig properly
After washing a wig, you should make it dry. When you trying to dry it, don't rub it with a towel, which will cause the hair to fall off, just use a towel to absorb the moisture. Natural air drying is the best way to dry your wig. If you don’t have enough time, you can use a hairdryer, but try to keep a low heat, because the high temperature will damage your wig.
3. Keep Your Hair In A Dry Place
Never put your wig in a humid environment. Humid places can easily cause your wig to become moldy and contaminate with various bacteria. This is definitely not what we want. So remember to put it in a dry place.
4. Make Sure Your Own Hair Is Dry
Before every time that you put on your wig, you need to ensure that your natural hair is dry completely. Leaving enough time to get your hair dry is an essential step. If you wear a wig with your wet hair, your wig will also get wet and your hair has to be kept in a humid environment, which not only makes your wig smelly but also damage your natural hair. Never ignore the protection of your own hair.
5. Wash your pillows regularly
Whether it is our wigs or our natural hair, we have a long time in contact with the pillow every day. After using a pillow for a long time, the surface of the pillow will accumulate grease and dust from our scalp. After a long period of accumulation, it will be full of bacteria and even give off a strange smell.
When we sleep with wigs, these smells will penetrate into our wigs and make our wigs smelly. And to ensure you have better sleep, it is necessary to wash the pillow regularly.
6. Wash your hairbrush
A Hairbrush is also one of the tools we use every day. When your hairbrush has been used for a while, you will find that there will be a lot of dust and hair remaining between the teeth of the comb, and it will even emit a strange smell. So, in order to keep your wigs clean, you must also remember to clean the hairbrush in time.
7. Isolate Your Hair From Odors
You can try to keep away from some occasions with much strange hair. But there is always something we can’t avoid, such as the kitchen and restaurant. You can prepare a silk scarf or a hat to cover your wig to prevent it exposed to this smell directly.
8. Use Lemon Juice
Above all the methods are all used to prevent your wig from smelling. We will also tell you some methods to make your smelling wig get fresh again in the following part.
The first one is to use lemons. Lemons always smell fresh and are anti-microbial. You can squeeze a lemon and add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice with a cup of warm water, then spray the mixture on your wig after washing. Remember to rinse it with cold water after a few minutes.
9. Use Essential Oils
You can apply some essential oil to the wig hair, tea tree oil is a good choice. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash with a gentle shampoo. Tea tree oil is antimicrobial and will leave a pleasant smell on your wig.
10. Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Try to xix 2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 2 cups of water. After washing your wig, use it to flush your wig hair again, which can help combat the bacteria on your wig and make the wig more lustrous.
Today we mainly discuss the methods of how to prevent hair wigs from getting smelling. If you are feeling at a loss because of the weird smell of your wig, you can try the above method. We hope that this blog can help you solve your problems. If you have some other ideas about getting rid of smells, welcome to share with us in the comment section.
Customer Also Reviewed
- -32%Julia Hair Invisible 5x5 HD Lace Closure Wigs Glueless Time Saving Wigs No Makeup No Spray Blend With All SkinDiscount Price： $206.73 Total Price: $304.01save： $97.28
- -30%Julia Hair 5x5 Inches HD Lace Closure Curly Wave Glueless Undetectable Lace Wigs 180% Hair Density Pre Plucked Invisible HairlineDiscount Price： $131.90 Total Price: $188.43save： $56.53
- -32%Julia Hair Affordable Body Wave 4X4 Lace Closure Wigs Pre Plucked Air Wig Pre-Cut Lace Human Hair Wigs 150% DensityDiscount Price： $127.43 Total Price: $187.39save： $59.96
- -30%Julia Hair 13X4 Lace Front Wig / 5X5 HD Lace Closure Wigs Body Wave Glueless Wigs 100% Human Hair Undetectable Transparent Lace Wigs Pre Plucked With Baby Hair AroundDiscount Price： $147.13 Total Price: $210.18save： $63.05
- -45%Julia Hair Glueless Kinky Straight 5x5 HD Lace Closure Wig Undetectable Lace Wigs Yaki Straight Human Hair 180% DensityDiscount Price： $106.54 Total Price: $193.70save： $87.16
- -50%Julia Hair 5x5 HD Lace Glueless Wigs 180%Density Undetectable Lace Wigs Pre Plucked Lace Closure Straight Wave Human Hair WigsDiscount Price： $221.61 Total Price: $443.21save： $221.60
- -30%Julia Hair Premium Bob Water Wave Human Hair 4x4 Lace Closure Wigs Raw Virgin Hair Black WigsDiscount Price： $124.38 Total Price: $177.68save： $53.30
- -32%Julia Hair Affordable Kinky Curly 4x4 Lace Closure Wig Pre Plucked 100% Virgin Lace Part Air Wig Pre-Cut Lace Human Hair Wigs For WomenDiscount Price： $101.16 Total Price: $148.76save： $47.60
- -30%Julia Hair Body Wave 4x4 Lace Closure Wigs With Baby Hair 150% Density High Quality Human Hair WigsDiscount Price： $146.62 Total Price: $209.46save： $62.84
- -30%Julia Hair Affordable Jerry Curly 4x4 Lace Closure Wigs With Baby Hair Transparent Lace High Quality Air Wig Pre-Cut Lace Human Hair WigsDiscount Price： $107.30 Total Price: $153.29save： $45.99
- -30%Julia Hair Brazilian Straight Short Bob Lace Closure Wigs Quality 4x4 Lace Closure Human Hair Wigs Pre Plucked With Baby HairDiscount Price： $115.37 Total Price: $164.82save： $49.45
- -30%Julia Glueless Kinky Curly 5x5 HD Lace Closure Wig Undetectable Lace Human Hair Wigs 180% DensityDiscount Price： $237.13 Total Price: $338.75save： $101.62