When selecting a wig it is often difficult to know where to begin. With oodles of styles, colors, brands and wig types, picking out a wig for the first time can seem, to say the least, overwhelming. Understanding the differences between human hair wigs and synthetic wigs is a good starting point for selecting the perfect wig. Choosing between human hair and synthetic hair is one of the most important decisions you will make when selecting a wig.
Reasons For Wearing Wigs
Before a woman can decide whether a human hair or synthetic wig is best for her, she needs to pinpoint exactly why she wants to wear a wig. The following gives some of the most common reasons for augmenting the hair with a hairpiece or wig. To conceal a medical or genetic condition associated with hair loss. For convenience and ease. To change the look of the hair quickly. To take on a different persona or disguise one's identity.
The Truth Of Wigs
You’ve heard the phrase, “You get what you pay for.” And if you’ve spent any amount of time with wigs, you've noticed that the ones made of human hair are generally more expensive than the ones made of synthetic fiber. But does that necessarily mean human hair wigs are better than synthetic fiber wigs? How are you supposed to know which is the better choice for you?
You’ve heard that old add-age “you get what you pay for”… this doesn’t necessarily mean the most expensive option is always what is best for you.
The truth? Human hair wigs and Synthetic hair wigs both have their advantages and disadvantages. Let’s take a look at the facts about human hair first:
Human Hair Wigs
- It looks and feels just like human hair because it is!
- You can even use your own hair when you create and style your wig.
- Styling, perming and heating can all be done with human hair wigs.
- There are a lot of options when it comes to cutting and styling human hair wigs.
- 1.Styling Versatility: Many human hair wigs can be colored, permed and styled just like your own hair. Keep in mind that it is important to take your wig to a stylist who is experienced in dealing with human hair wigs if you wish to alter the style.
- 2.Texture: Human hair wigs come in a variety of textures, so you can match your own hair texture very closely.
- 3.Longevity: With proper care, human hair wigs can last a year or more when worn daily.
- 4. Natural Looking: Human hair wigs feel great and can look incredibly natural.
- 1.High Maintenance: Just like real hair, human hair wigs need to be washed, deep-conditioned and re-styled frequently.
- 2.Cost: Because they are harvested from human hair, they are typically more expensive.
- 3.Color Variation: It is difficult to replicate an exact color when you replace a human hair wig or wish to purchase a back up of the same style. Human hair wigs of the same color will vary slightly from wig to wig because each wig contains hair harvested from multiple people.
- 4.Reacts to Weather: Like your own hair would, human hair wigs react to the weather and can become frizzy, limp or dry depending on the weather.
- 5.Color Fading: The color of a human hair wig will oxidize or fade with exposure to light.
- 6.Fragile: The hair will incur damage if subjected to harsh brushing, back-combing or overuse of heated styling tools.
- 7.Weight: Human hair wigs can feel heavier than synthetic wigs of a similar length and style.
- 8. Styling: Human hair wigs are more labor-intensive and require more effort and skill to style.
- Synthetic wigs are pre-styled so you can try on a ton of different looks.
- Synthetic wigs are durable and still maintain their style after being washed.
- Synthetic wigs are inexpensive and easy to clean. The fibers of synthetic wigs look and feel like human Hair.
- 1. Easy Care: Synthetic wigs are easy to take care of. Because synthetic wigs have something called “style retention,” they never have to be styled. You simply wash, dry and then shake them out, and the wig will return to its initial style.
- 2. Style Memory: Synthetic wigs hold their style regardless of the weather.
- 3. Versatile: You can try out various colors and styles without the need to see a hair stylist by purchasing multiple synthetic wigs.
- 4. Large Color Selection: The sky is the limit where colors are concerned. You can choose from an array of natural colors, as well as several fantasy colors.
- 5. Cost: Synthetic wigs are relatively inexpensive.
- 6. Low Maintenance: They require very little maintenance. This is important to consider if you are experiencing health issues and not feeling well.
- 7. Natural Looking: If purchasing a high-quality synthetic wig, it is very difficult to tell the difference between a synthetic wig and one made from real human hair.
- 1. Shine: Some economy or budget synthetic wigs may have an unnatural shine.
- 2. Longevity: Synthetic wigs and toppers do not last as long as human hair wigs. They typically last about 4-6 months with daily wear.
- 3. Less Versatility: Synthetic wigs cannot be straightened or curled with heated styling tools unless it is a specifically designed "heat friendly" synthetic wig.
- 4. Cannot Change Color: Recoloring is not recommended for synthetic wigs and traditional hair color will not adhere to the fibers.
Human Hair Wigs VS Synthetic Wigs, What’s The Difference?
Of course, wearing natural hair wigs is the preferred choice of many, if and only if you have the money to pay for it.If you use synthetic, price per oz would be much cheaper.
There are limitations when styling synthetic wigs. Most of them cannot even be styled because it can easily be damaged. On the contrary, wigs made from natural hair allows men and women to style it occasionally.
Synthetically created hair wigs can only do so much to copy real human hair. It fails to capture the shine and retain the true color of hair.
Some people think that wearing wigs is uncomfortable. Sadly, it's not. It is very comfortable both human hair and synthetic wigs, especially with advanced techniques and processes used in creating it.
Even if human hair wigs last longer, the life of your wig depends on how much you care for it.
Watch the video to learn the difference between human hair wig and synthetic wig.
Human Hair Wigs VS Synthetic Wigs, Which Is The Best?
Both human hair and synthetic hair have advantages and limitations, but how do you know which is best for you? Here are the facts so you can work out which best suits your needs...
Human Hair Wigs
- Has a natural look and feel.
- Offers styling versatility can be curled, straightened etc.
- It requires more care.
- It needs to be styled just like your own hair.
- Can be expensive.
- With proper care, it can last up to a year.
Synthetic Hair Wigs
- High-quality synthetic hair looks and feels similar to human hair.
- Styling is limited as heated tools cannot be used.
- Requires less maintenance and will not lose shape or curls.
- Can wear it right out of the box.
- Is cheaper than the human hair.
- With proper care can last 3 to 6 months.
Above all, we can’t say which type of wigs is definitely better than the other one, just select a suitable wig according to your needs.