Curling Iron Mistakes And How To Avoid
Curling hair seems pretty basic. You heat up a curling iron, wrap your hair around it, and you're done. Unfortunately, there are plenty of curling iron mistakes you could be inadvertently making that could damage your hair or prevent those darn curls from lasting all day — no matter how much hairspray you use. You might think that higher heat or longer curling is the answer, but it's not. In fact, there are some details that can make or break your curly hair weave and discover how to avoid them with this list of common mistakes.
Not prepping your hair
The first step to getting a great, safe curl is by prepping your hair. It’s incredibly important to prep your hair with a heat protectant before you blow-dry and curls. The best way to do this is to apply a heat protectant product, then blow-dry your hair completely. This creates a barrier between the cuticle and the heat to prevent damage. Styling glazes or pomades are also popular, as they deliver more control and texture when curling. If you know your hair has a tough time holding a curl, mist each section lightly before styling for a stronger hold.Using the Wrong Barrel Size
Another mistake that a lot of people make when they are using a curling iron is using the wrong size barrel. Bigger barrels will create bigger waves and smaller ones will result in tighter curls. You might want to swap the two based on the kind of look you’re after and which one you are more comfortable using. For those with long hair, it’s better to use a bigger barrel. Using a smaller barrel is best suited for those with shorter hair as it can make tight ringlets.Using the Wrong Heat Settings
The heat factor is very important when using any hot tool, since using wrong temperatures could damage hair and the desired hairstyle might not be achieved. Low heat settings are recommended for hair that’s color treated, fragile, or fine; while high heat settings are suggested for thick, coarse, or curly. The low temperature should be below 200°, while the high temperature should fluctuate between 200 and 300°. On the other hand, you should never go above 400°, since that kind of heat could be way too harsh for your locks.Curling In The Wrong Direction
There is no definite wrong or right direction to curl hair. But to achieve natural curls, be sure to curl in the direction away from the face. Proceed to curl different sections towards the back in a similar fashion. Do alternating directions with other sections of your hair to have a more natural and messy look. This works best for those who have short hair.Curling too much hair at a time
If you take too much hair at a time (or make too big of a section), the curling iron won’t be able to curl the entire section properly. Instead, the heat will only hit the layer of hair that is closest to the barrel and will leave the outside layers untouched and uncurled. The general rule of thumb is to use 3-centimeter-wide sections of hair, but for a more natural look, use varying widths of sections to create a natural-looking curl.Choosing the Wrong Material
If your curling iron is made of metal or chrome, maybe it’s time to consider buying one from another material. While metal and chrome irons are cheaper, they are also very damaging to your hair because they open the hair cuticle, which inevitably damages your locks. Opt instead for tourmaline and ceramic, both of which release negative ions that close the hair cuticles. In tourmaline irons, that action prevents moisture loss and provides frizz control; while in ceramic irons the heat distribution is evener.Curling Your Hair For Too Long
You should not leave your hair in the curling iron for longer than 5-10 seconds. Try to avoid holding your hair on a curler for long because it can be damaging. Not only can your hair break off, but it increases your chances of burning your hair off. Keep your hair safe by not leaving each section of your hair on the curling iron for a long time.Clamping the Curling Iron
If some indents have appeared on your hair after using the curling iron, they might have been caused by its clamp. To avoid this, clamp each hair section in the middle and then do the rest. Remember to not clamp for too long, and avoid contact between the clamp and the ends.
These common mistakes that people make with curling irons can be avoided. Be sure to follow all the tips above for a safe curling session. Be sure that you are not leaving your hair on the curling iron for too long or else you could cause a significant amount of damage to your hair.
Julia Curly Hair is 100% Human Remy virgin hair. These curl hair waves are luxuriously soft and bouncy! We have Brazilian kinky curly virgin hair, Malaysian natural curly hair, curly Indian Remy hair weave and Peruvian curly hair bundles for your choice and on hotting selling. We make the female as our guide customer, use the special design to transmit the warm, romantic, free elegant and delicate to you.
Customer Also Reviewed
- -32%Julia Hair Invisible 5x5 HD Lace Closure Wigs Glueless Time Saving Wigs No Makeup No Spray Blend With All SkinDiscount Price： $206.73 Total Price: $304.01save： $97.28
- -30%Julia Hair 5x5 Inches HD Lace Closure Curly Wave Glueless Undetectable Lace Wigs 180% Hair Density Pre Plucked Invisible HairlineDiscount Price： $131.90 Total Price: $188.43save： $56.53
- -32%Julia Hair Affordable Body Wave 4X4 Lace Closure Wigs Pre Plucked Air Wig Pre-Cut Lace Human Hair Wigs 150% DensityDiscount Price： $127.43 Total Price: $187.39save： $59.96
- -30%Julia Hair 13X4 Lace Front Wig / 5X5 HD Lace Closure Wigs Body Wave Glueless Wigs 100% Human Hair Undetectable Transparent Lace Wigs Pre Plucked With Baby Hair AroundDiscount Price： $147.13 Total Price: $210.18save： $63.05
- -45%Julia Hair Glueless Kinky Straight 5x5 HD Lace Closure Wig Undetectable Lace Wigs Yaki Straight Human Hair 180% DensityDiscount Price： $106.54 Total Price: $193.70save： $87.16
- -50%Julia Hair 5x5 HD Lace Glueless Wigs 180%Density Undetectable Lace Wigs Pre Plucked Lace Closure Straight Wave Human Hair WigsDiscount Price： $221.61 Total Price: $443.21save： $221.60
- -30%Julia Hair Premium Bob Water Wave Human Hair 4x4 Lace Closure Wigs Raw Virgin Hair Black WigsDiscount Price： $124.38 Total Price: $177.68save： $53.30
- -32%Julia Hair Affordable Kinky Curly 4x4 Lace Closure Wig Pre Plucked 100% Virgin Lace Part Air Wig Pre-Cut Lace Human Hair Wigs For WomenDiscount Price： $101.16 Total Price: $148.76save： $47.60
- -30%Julia Hair Body Wave 4x4 Lace Closure Wigs With Baby Hair 150% Density High Quality Human Hair WigsDiscount Price： $146.62 Total Price: $209.46save： $62.84
- -30%Julia Hair Affordable Jerry Curly 4x4 Lace Closure Wigs With Baby Hair Transparent Lace High Quality Air Wig Pre-Cut Lace Human Hair WigsDiscount Price： $107.30 Total Price: $153.29save： $45.99
- -30%Julia Hair Brazilian Straight Short Bob Lace Closure Wigs Quality 4x4 Lace Closure Human Hair Wigs Pre Plucked With Baby HairDiscount Price： $115.37 Total Price: $164.82save： $49.45
- -30%Julia Glueless Kinky Curly 5x5 HD Lace Closure Wig Undetectable Lace Human Hair Wigs 180% DensityDiscount Price： $237.13 Total Price: $338.75save： $101.62