Can Black People Grow Straight Hair?
The answer to this question is "yes". A common misconception is that blacks cannot have naturally straight hair. Some people of African descent can be born with straight hair, while others have curly hair. Let's explore this issue in more detail.
1. Why Do Many African/African Americans Usually Have Curly Hair?
Hair texture is determined by the shape of the hair follicle, which is the hole in the scalp from which hair grows. The larger the follicle, the thicker the hair. The smaller the follicle, the thinner the hair.
Also, the rounder the follicle, the straighter the hair. If the follicle is more oval, the hair is more curly. Many Africans have oval-shaped follicles, just as many have darker skin tones. Mixed-race people also tend to have less curly hair texture.
2. Why Can Some Africans/African-Americans Have Naturally Straight Hair?
Generally speaking, hair texture is determined by an interaction of genetic and environmental factors. If one parent has straight hair and the other has curly or wavy hair, the child will likely inherit straight hair from the parent with the dominant trait.
Certain environmental factors, chemical treatments, or heat styling can help make hair straighter. Blacks can have naturally straight hair because the texture of their hair is largely determined by genetics.
3. The History Behind African Hair
The history behind African hair stems from its origins in Africa. Due to the hot climate of Africa, the people from there learned to adapt, including their bodies and hair. Their hair adapted to the unique climate of the region. For example, when you get a cold, the sweaty hairs on your arms will start to stand up to warm your body. The prolonged hot environment also causes permanent changes to their hair.
In Africa, a person's scalp will try any measure to keep their body cool because of the high temperatures. As a result, hair will usually begin to curl to help sweat evaporate more quickly, thus keeping your body cooler. Straight hair can be detrimental in the sun because it will begin to trap and lock in heat on the scalp.
Does this conclusion mean that black people don't have naturally straight hair? No. There are always exceptions to the rule. There are Eretrians, Ethiopians and Somalis (all LDS or African) who wear their hair straight.
4. Why Do Africans/African-Americans Like To Straighten Hair?
After reading the history of African hair, you may wonder, "Why to straighten your hair when it is a natural adaptation to the hot weather?" The reasons for this are racial and political.
Since slavery, curly African hair has been considered unattractive, dirty, ghetto, unprofessional and other negative pejoratives. Africans with neat and professional-looking hair are more likely to find suitable jobs. Fortunately, little by little, times are changing, evolving and progressing. These discriminatory views are slowly fading away. They are also able to choose curly hair with more confidence.
Many African/African-Americans straighten their hair because they think it is prettier, more professional or more attractive. Straightening black hair makes it easier to style. They use many methods to straighten their hair, including chemical relaxers and heat-styling tools, such as irons or blow dryers.
5. How Do African/African Americans Protect Their Hair?
Straightening your hair can produce beautiful results, but it can also cause damage to your hair. Therefore, African/African Americans need to take care of their hair by using quality products and avoiding heat damage whenever possible. Prioritize shampoos that hydrate the hair. This will help lock in moisture and keep hair healthy and strong.
It is also important to avoid using too much heat when styling hair, as this can lead to damage and frizz. Try to let your hair dry naturally rather than using a blow dryer. When you use a blow dryer, try to turn the temperature down as low as possible to minimize heat damage. Finally, get regular haircuts to remove damaged or split ends.
Black people can certainly wear their hair straight. Science has proven to us time and time again that we are a product of our environment. There are Caucasians with naturally curly hair. Everything is traceable, and everything is broken.
One can try to research African-Americans' different tribes and histories. You will be surprised to find that not only are some blacks born with straight hair, but some are also even born with blue eyes, and others have blonde hair. Let us know your thoughts about this topic in the comments section below.
Customer Also Reviewed
- -32%Julia Hair Invisible 5x5 HD Lace Closure Wigs Glueless Time Saving Wigs No Makeup No Spray Blend With All SkinDiscount Price： $206.73 Total Price: $304.01save： $97.28
- -30%Julia Hair 5x5 Inches HD Lace Closure Curly Wave Glueless Undetectable Lace Wigs 180% Hair Density Pre Plucked Invisible HairlineDiscount Price： $131.90 Total Price: $188.43save： $56.53
- -32%Julia Hair Affordable Body Wave 4X4 Lace Closure Wigs Pre Plucked Air Wig Pre-Cut Lace Human Hair Wigs 150% DensityDiscount Price： $127.43 Total Price: $187.39save： $59.96
- -30%Julia Hair 13X4 Lace Front Wig / 5X5 HD Lace Closure Wigs Body Wave Glueless Wigs 100% Human Hair Undetectable Transparent Lace Wigs Pre Plucked With Baby Hair AroundDiscount Price： $147.13 Total Price: $210.18save： $63.05
- -45%Julia Hair Glueless Kinky Straight 5x5 HD Lace Closure Wig Undetectable Lace Wigs Yaki Straight Human Hair 180% DensityDiscount Price： $106.54 Total Price: $193.70save： $87.16
- -50%Julia Hair 5x5 HD Lace Glueless Wigs 180%Density Undetectable Lace Wigs Pre Plucked Lace Closure Straight Wave Human Hair WigsDiscount Price： $221.61 Total Price: $443.21save： $221.60
- -30%Julia Hair Premium Bob Water Wave Human Hair 4x4 Lace Closure Wigs Raw Virgin Hair Black WigsDiscount Price： $124.38 Total Price: $177.68save： $53.30
- -32%Julia Hair Affordable Kinky Curly 4x4 Lace Closure Wig Pre Plucked 100% Virgin Lace Part Air Wig Pre-Cut Lace Human Hair Wigs For WomenDiscount Price： $101.16 Total Price: $148.76save： $47.60
- -30%Julia Hair Body Wave 4x4 Lace Closure Wigs With Baby Hair 150% Density High Quality Human Hair WigsDiscount Price： $146.62 Total Price: $209.46save： $62.84
- -30%Julia Hair Affordable Jerry Curly 4x4 Lace Closure Wigs With Baby Hair Transparent Lace High Quality Air Wig Pre-Cut Lace Human Hair WigsDiscount Price： $107.30 Total Price: $153.29save： $45.99
- -30%Julia Hair Brazilian Straight Short Bob Lace Closure Wigs Quality 4x4 Lace Closure Human Hair Wigs Pre Plucked With Baby HairDiscount Price： $115.37 Total Price: $164.82save： $49.45
- -30%Julia Glueless Kinky Curly 5x5 HD Lace Closure Wig Undetectable Lace Human Hair Wigs 180% DensityDiscount Price： $237.13 Total Price: $338.75save： $101.62