All You Should Know About Perms
You may even have had dreams about having bouncy, soft curls every day or having straight, frizz-free hair when you wake up in the morning! If this sounds like you, you may be considering getting a perm treatment in order to achieve these looks, which your natural hair just won't let you do.
Don’t worry, there are a few somethings about the treatment which you need to consider before making the big decision. Keep reading for all of the details all you should know about perms.
All About Perming Hair
Are you considering a curly perm? The first thing you should know is that this curly hair weaves treatment is a commitment. First of all, perform an honest hair check. What condition are your tresses in? Take a sneak peek at the below mentioned interesting information that you should know about hair perming before you decide to give a try to this treatment.
What Is Permed Hair?
Perms are chemicals that are applied to your hair to help temporarily break the bonds in your hair shaft, allowing for a restructuring of the bonds. This allows you to add permanent curls, or for you to remove them permanently. Hair that has been through this kind of processing is called permed hair.
Undamaged hair provides the best platform for hair perming. In order to get pretty curls, your hair needs to be in healthy condition. Even if you have dyed or highlighted your hair in past few months, you will have to wait for some time before committing to perms. The chemical present in hair color weakens the hair. The hairstylists recommend virgin hair for perming because the best virgin hair holds perms best.
Types of Perms Available
You have two types of perms to choose from digital (hot) perms and cold Perms.
Digital (hot) Perms
It involves an initial relaxing treatment that prepares your hair, taking about an hour. Then, heated curling rods are used to form looser curves and waves. Finally, the hair is put in several rollers hooked to an electronic device that regulates temperature. The process takes three to four hours, possibly longer depending on hair length and thickness.
With cold perms, the traditional method, your hair is soaked with an alkaline compound before it’s tightly wound into smaller curls and ringlets set by rollers. This creates a tighter pattern with a digital perm would. But, as with all perms, the waves will relax and become looser over time. The processing time is two to two and a half hours.
The Pros And Cons Of Each Perming Types
Here are major pros and cons of each which can help you decide which method is best for you.
Digital or Hot Perm
- Curly when dry
- Varying loose waves, depending on roller size
- Most natural-looking curl
- Designed specifically for East Asian hair
- Potentially less damaging, as temperature of rollers is more closely controlled
- Longer process
- Works on thick hair only
- More expensive
- Relaxes faster
- Curly when wet or with hair product
- Tighter curls, capable of looking like ringlets
- Less heat to your scalp
- Can curl closer to roots
- Works on almost any type of hair
- More affordable
- Less natural-looking (at first)
- Requires more styling products to maintain look
How To Keep Your Perm Hair Frizz-free?
As with any curls, it’s important to maintain your new look to avoid the frizz and tangles that come with damaged hair. Here’s what you can do to make sure your new curls stay frizz-free.
Treat Your Hair Like Naturally Curly
A perm makes your hair act as if it was naturally curly, which means it needs to be treated like curly hair, too.Choose shampoos and conditioners made for treated hair. Not only will this prevent and reverse the damage, but it will also help your perm last longer too.
Condition And Moisturize
Just like any chemical hair treatment, your hair will most likely be a little damaged after the perm. Make sure to use a conditioner every time you shampoo, and if your hair seems a little frizzy, go for a deep-conditioning treatment to add extra moisture to your locks.
Avoid Blow Drying Your Hair
The heat from a hair dryer can create unwanted frizz, damage, and split ends. If you need to blow dry your hair, try to wait until it’s mostly dry and use a diffuser to keep the curl without the frizz.
Stay Away From Heat
Straightening your hair can not only create frizz and damage, but it can also loosen your curls. While some heat is okay, make sure to use plenty of heat protectant when straightening to make sure you don’t damage your gorgeous curls.
Are Perms Bad For Your Hair?
The simple answer is: yes. It’s never a great idea to put chemicals into your hair, so you have to decide whether the style is worth the damage. However, if your hair is in good health before the perm, damage should be minimal. And if you avoid brushing your hair and make sure to moisturize it regularly, you can alleviate a lot of the harm.
Tips On Making A Perm Last
- Don’t dye your hair for two weeks before and after you get a perm.
- Invest in shampoos and conditioners made for curly hair.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.
- Wait for two days after the perm before washing your hair.
- Don’t comb your hair for the first 24 hours.
- Avoid putting your hair in a ponytail before washing your hair.
Julia Curly Hair is 100% Human Remy virgin hair. These curl hair waves are luxuriously soft and bouncy! Our Brazilian body wave hair is easily blended with most hair textures and Permed easily! You can try it!
Perms were all the rage in the 80’s and they are still popular today! There you have it! Everything you need to know about perms. If you want to perm your hair, you should use the best virgin hair bundles to achieve your curl looking.
Customer Also Reviewed
- -35%Julia Hair Invisible 5x5 HD Lace Closure Wigs Glueless Time Saving Wigs No Makeup No Spray Blend With All Skin 13x4 Undetectable Transparent Lace Wig Human HairDiscount Price： $118.58 Total Price: $182.43save： $63.85
- -30%Julia Hair Affordable Body Wave 4X4 Lace Closure Wigs Pre Plucked Air Wig Human Hair Wigs 150% DensityDiscount Price： $110.90 Total Price: $158.43save： $47.53
- -30%Julia Hair 13X4 Lace Front Wig / 5X5 HD Lace Closure Wigs Body Wave Glueless Wigs 100% Human Hair Undetectable Transparent Lace Wigs Pre Plucked With Baby Hair AroundDiscount Price： $147.13 Total Price: $210.18save： $63.05
- -30%Julia Hair 5x5 Inches HD Lace Closure Curly Wave Glueless Undetectable Lace Wigs 180% Hair Density Pre Plucked Invisible HairlineDiscount Price： $131.90 Total Price: $188.43save： $56.53
- -30%Julia Hair Glueless Kinky Straight 5x5 HD Lace Closure Wig Undetectable Lace Wigs Yaki Straight Human Hair 180% DensityDiscount Price： $114.30 Total Price: $163.29save： $48.99
- -30%Julia Hair Affordable Jerry Curly 4x4 Lace Closure Wigs With Baby Hair Transparent Lace High Quality Human Hair WigsDiscount Price： $107.30 Total Price: $153.29save： $45.99
- -50%Julia Hair 5x5 HD Lace Glueless Wigs 180%Density Undetectable Lace Wigs Pre Plucked Lace Closure Straight Wave Human Hair WigsDiscount Price： $221.61 Total Price: $443.21save： $221.60
- -30%Julia Hair Premium Bob Water Wave Human Hair 4x4 Lace Closure Wigs Raw Virgin Hair Black WigsDiscount Price： $124.38 Total Price: $177.68save： $53.30
- -30%Julia Hair Affordable Kinky Curly 4x4 Lace Closure Wig Pre Plucked 100% Virgin Lace Part Human Hair Wigs For WomenDiscount Price： $92.40 Total Price: $132.00save： $39.60
- -30%Julia Hair Body Wave 4x4 Lace Closure Wigs With Baby Hair 150% Density High Quality Human Hair WigsDiscount Price： $146.62 Total Price: $209.46save： $62.84
- -30%Julia Hair Brazilian Straight Short Bob Lace Closure Wigs Quality 4x4 Lace Closure Human Hair Wigs Pre Plucked With Baby HairDiscount Price： $115.37 Total Price: $164.82save： $49.45
- -30%Julia Glueless Kinky Curly 5x5 HD Lace Closure Wig Undetectable Lace Human Hair Wigs 180% DensityDiscount Price： $237.13 Total Price: $338.75save： $101.62